Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Day 15 - 78 miles of beachfront

Left Van Ripen with the expectation of rain but it never came. Had a great ride into Marquette with a stop at the USA ski and snowboard hall of fame. It wasn't open until 10 am but since I was on my bike I was allowed to tour the facility at 8:30 am. The hall of fame is locates in Ishpeming (just outside of Marquette), because this is where skiing was first brought to the USA by the Swedes and Nords. Ski jumping also started here and the old photos were fun to see.

Marquette is a wonderful town with a well developed downtown and waterfront. The road out of Marquette to Munising is along the National Seashore park and is gorgeous. People where out enjoying the weather - sunbathing and swimming.

I had met two cyclist early in the day who were also circling Lake Superior. We talked briefly but I was in the zone and outpaced them early. I stopped for breakfast and they continued on- but by 2 pm I had caught them. We rode together in the afternoon and enjoyed the ride into Munising. Parted company at the Dairy Queen where I enjoyed a Cookie Dough Blizzard. They rode to a camp 5 miles outside of town.

At DQ I met two grandparents (in their 60's) each with their own motorcycles doing a three day tour with their 6 and 8 yr old grandkids on the back of their bikes! How cool is that! Biggest issue was to make sure kids did not fall asleep on the bike.

I decided to find a motel since I'm staying over to kayak tomorrow. I've signed up for 7 hr kayak along Pictured Rocks - should be fun!l


Jeff Reaves
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment